Monday, October 12, 2015

Day 12 - Normalizing Grief

I often feel like a "Debbie downer" when I mention things about my loss or my daughter. It doesn't have to be on Facebook, but even in person. When I say her name or mention what happened to her, the silence grows so thick you could suffocate on it. More often than not, people don't want to hear about your loss or your child.... but for some, especially those childless mothers, it's hard not to think about them and talk about where he/she should be right now.

I want people to understand I don't talk about her to make them uncomfortable, I'm talking about pregnancy loss and awareness because I didn't know it could happen to me. I didn't know anything could go wrong after that 12 week mark. Little did I know the warning signs, what was normal, what was not. I would take anything for someone to say "maybe you should get checked out to be on the safe side".

So next time I mention Ana, or bring up pregnancy and infant loss, it's because I want people to be aware that pregnancy loss does not discriminate. I want to bring to them awareness. I don't want your pity, I don't want you to be upset. I want you to be aware.

I am 1 in 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment