Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Weight loss stuggles



Weight has always been a struggle for me. I look back at my grade school pictures and I was always the chubby girl, the fat girl. I was made fun of a lot when I switched schools in the beginning of 4th grade. Knowing I was new to the school, the kids took advantage of this and would make fun of me for my weight and many other things for that matter.

Eating was always a comfort for me. When I was sad, I would eat. When I was happy, I would eat. When I wanted to cry, I would eat. It was my way of coping with feelings I couldn't handle. For the most part, my entire family is some-what overweight and I never had someone preaching about the dangers of not eating healthy or eating too much. I grew in age and I grew in weight, but much higher than other kids I was in school with.

Before meeting Ana's father years ago, I was somewhere in the low 200's (pounds). We dated for those six years and during those six years I gained almost 100 pounds. Towards the end of our six year relationship I was now at my highest weight (over 320 pounds). He knew it was unhealthy and I knew I was unhealthy and I knew I had to do something about it.

Since I'm 5'2, doctors and weight charts estimate I should weigh about 125 lbs. While I doubt I'll ever get to this weight, I knew that I needed to lose weight because I was no longer getting my period cycles. My cycles stopped for approximately 3 years and my doctor put me on medication to trigger my period because she was concerned of uterine problems.

In Oct of 2008 I fractured my hip while falling down a wet set of outside stairs. This was my breaking point. The weight and the fractured hip put me over the edge and I came to the conclusion I was too unhappy and unhealthy to continue living like this. At this rate, even IF I could have kids, I wouldn't be around to see them reach their 20's.

I looked into all sorts of ways to lose weight. I started dieting, I tried the no-carb diet, I tried the "Hollywood" diet, I tried weight watchers, counting calories, etc and nothing seemed to work. I looked into gastric bypass surgeries but I knew I wanted to conceive in the next few years and I know they don't recommend it to give time for your body to heal.

I spoke to my doctor and she started me on phentermine. When I started the medication it gave me such energy I felt like I could keep exercising until I passed out. I would go to the gym almost every day and I saw the pounds shedding off. From January 2009 until Dec 2009 I lost a total of 75 lbs. However, I had a setback and had my gallbladder removed Dec 31, 2009. After this surgery I had some severe complications which meant I wasn't able to work out and I gained back some of the weight (about 25 lbs). 

Although I was no longer on the medication, I started losing weight again at the beginning of this year and it made my total weight loss amount to 87 lbs at the time I conceived Ana.

I know that losing all of the weight was key to getting my cycles back and becoming more regular. When I conceived Ana I was getting my period every month or every other month (at the latest).

While pregnant with Ana, I gained 20 pounds in the first three months. Since I lost Ana, I have lost 12 pounds and need to lose 8 more before being at my "pre-baby" weight. Losing this weight has been a battle for me but I am trying hard (even during the holidays) because I want to try having another baby when my doc (and body) allows.

I credit most of my weight loss to walking. Lots and lots of walking and drinking water. I cut out all soda (diet or not) and this really helped me lose weight as well. I hope that I can continue working hard to lose the rest of the baby weight and continue losing more weight to hope for a better and healthier pregnancy next time.

1 comment:

  1. I understand where you are coming from. I found myself at my heaviest a year ago with irregular cycles. I changed my life, lost fifty pounds and found myself more fertile...bit we know how that ended. Now I am trying to get back onto a healthier path. It is a rough road for as girls who have always turned to food for comfort. When our hearts are broken it is difficult to make these healthy choices. We can do it though. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete