Sunday, November 11, 2012

What comes next?

So I've been thinking a lot about what's to come next. The doctor said that before I try conceiving another baby that they want to perform a sonohysterogram. This procedure is to see if I have a septum in my uterus. After doing further research online, I've found out some things that are quite concerning for me.

As for the procedure itself, they gave me a prescription they want me to start a week before the procedure to "relax" or "open" my cervix. During the procedure they insert saline water into the uterus using a catheter. This allows the doctors to look for abnormalities inside my uterus. However, they will not do this procedure until after my first period and since I've never really had a "normal" menstrual cycle, who knows how long it will take for that to happen.

That means not only do I have to wait to try for another baby again, but that there may also be something else wrong with my body which may need to be fixed to improve my chance of having a successful pregnancy. I read that if I do have a septum in my uterus, removing it can improve my chances of having a successful and hopefully full term pregnancy.

To remove the septum I would need to have surgery. This surgery would most likely be minimally invasive, but could cause bad cramping and heavy cycles afterwards. While I know I want to know what's wrong, or what may better my chances to have a child, I'm very afraid of having another surgery since the last one I had caused so many complications. I'm also worried that this will only push out my chances of having another child further and further since I'm already approaching 29 and only getting older as each day goes by.

I guess the only thing I can do right now is focus on getting my weight back down to where I want it to be and remain as healthy as I can in the mean time. In the years leading up to Ana's conception, I lost a total of 87 lbs. I need to lose another 8 pounds then I will be back at my pre-baby weight. Hopefully, the weight loss will continue past that because I know that with each pound I lose, the better chances I have for a safe and healthy pregnancy. I need to ensure that I can do whatever it takes to get my body ready to try again when that time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment